Stephan E. Hornung
Stephan E. Hornung represents financial institutions and creditors in commercial litigation in state and federal courts, including bankruptcy courts, across the country. Stephan has been recognized by New York Metro Super Lawyers every year since 2014.
Contact Stephan E. Hornung
- Eight secured lenders in the Chapter 11 proceeding of Miami Metals I, Inc. (f/k/a Republic Metals Refining Corporation) in multi-party litigation with the debtors’ former customers over the debtors’ precious metals inventory.
- A secured lender in state and bankruptcy court litigation against a failed hemp processor.
- Special counsel to the Financial Oversight and Management Board for Puerto Rico in lift-stay and related litigation in the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico and in the Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
- Secured lenders and equipment lessors in state and federal court receiverships in New York and Kentucky.
- A financial institution in a breach of contract action brought by the estate of a former executive.
- A financial institution serving as owner trustee in a breach of contract action brought by holders of residential mortgage-backed securities issued by fifteen Delaware statutory trusts.
- A financial institution serving as owner trustee in multiple litigations in New York and Delaware arising out of student loan securitizations.
- Investigation, litigation, and confirmation of a plan of liquidation for the Chapter 11 Trustee of Fletcher International, Ltd., a master fund that was part of a complex master-feeder fund structure.
- Viacom International Inc. and its affiliates in connection with multiple claims in The Weinstein Company LLC’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Investors in and manager of a large fuel distribution and gas station management company in hotly-contested Chapter 11 proceedings commenced by an investor-dealer.
- Creditors in Chapter 11 bankruptcies across the country, including Global Eagle Entertainment, Inc., Cinemex USA Real Estate Holdings, Inc., iPic-Gold Class Entertainment, LLC, Sears Holdings Corporation, Rdio, Inc., Open Road Films, LLC, AOG Entertainment, Inc., Republic Airways Holdings, Inc., iHeart Media, Inc., Toys “R” Us, Inc., and Relativity Media, LLC.
- Defendants in avoidance actions threatened or commenced in the Sizmek, Inc., Abeinsa Holdings Inc., Maxus Energy Corporation, and ITT Educational Services, Inc. bankruptcies.
- A financial institution in multiple litigations arising out of a $20 million check-kiting scheme and subsequent Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
- A financial institution in an arbitration relating to ownership interests in an investment management firm.
- A financial institution as defendant in a fraudulent conveyance action arising out of a Ponzi scheme.
- A financial institution as defendant in a subprime “put back” litigation brought by monoline insurer CIFG.
- A financial institution in litigation involving the failed securitization of a $300 million warehouse line of credit secured by 51 real estate loans and, following the successful litigation, in the workout of all 51 loans, including subsequent litigation in various jurisdictions across the country.
- A financial institution in litigation over the liquidation of a municipal bond portfolio securing a $500 million revolving credit facility.
- A financial institution in litigation concerning a $25 million asset-based revolving credit facility.
- New York
- New Jersey
- Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York
- District of New Jersey
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- Member of the Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization Committee of the New York City Bar Association; Co-Chair Third-Party Release Subcommittee, 2017-2018
- Associate in Litigation Department, Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP (2007-2012)
St. John’s University School of Law, J.D., 2007, cum laude
Colgate University, B.A., 2003