Matthew O’Donnell represents financial institutions in all types of loan restructurings, out of court workouts, bankruptcy proceedings and lending transactions including domestic and cross-border commodity financing transactions, asset based loans, leveraged financing transactions, aircraft and other equipment financings. He has also represented public and private corporations in mergers and acquisitions, equity investments and other general corporate matters.
Contact Matthew O’Donnell
- Agent for lenders in a $475,000,000 borrowing base facility secured by, among other things, coffee and other commodities located in the United States, Canada, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Agent for lenders in a $600,000,000 unsecured revolving credit facility to a global agricultural merchant.
- A financial institution with claims against hedge funds and private equity funds arising out of the termination of master repurchase agreements, including the consensual out-of-court liquidation of securities and the resolution and payment of counterparty claims.
- Agent for lenders in the workout and restructuring of a revolving credit facility to a national retailer.
- Agent for a group of secured lenders and hedge providers in the workout then chapter 11 case of Mineral Park, the owner of a copper mine in Arizona.
- Agent for a group of lenders in the workout and restructuring of a $1.4 billion line of credit secured by shipping vessels registered in Hong Kong and the Marshall Islands.
- Agent for a group of lenders in the workout and restructuring of an $800,000,000 term loan and revolving credit facility secured by all assets of a national port operator, which included the sale of 50% of the borrower’s equity interests in its largest subsidiary to an international shipping conglomerate and the issuance of over $175,000,000 of letters of credit to support the borrower’s corporate bond obligations.
- Agent for a group of lenders in the chapter 11 case of China Fishery Group and Pacific Andes International Holdings, and the secured lender in a workout then chapter 7 case of National Fish and Seafood, Inc., a subsidiary of Pacific Andres International Holdings.
- Agent for a group of lenders in the workout of a $100,000,000 credit facility to an oil and gas exploration company secured by properties in Texas and Wyoming.
- A group of financial institutions in connection with commodity hedge agreements with an owner of a partially completed copper mine in Mexico.
- Agent for lenders in the restructuring of hedge and loan obligations of a Canadian operator of a gold mine in Brazil.
- A lender in the workout of a series of loans to a real estate developer secured by golf courses, shopping centers and residential subdivisions and involving the sale of a portion of the loans, foreclosure on a mortgage, and successful litigation to enforce payment under a matured promissory note.
- A lender in the successful workout of over $500 million of term loans to a private jet timeshare company and the negotiation of intercreditor agreements with the borrower’s other senior and subordinated lenders and a purchase option agreement with the borrower’s strategic partner.
- A letter of credit provider in the restructuring of a facility backing bonds issued by an agency of a financially troubled California municipality and the negotiation of amendments to the related reimbursement agreement and bond indenture providing for the pledge of collateral and reduction of the letter of credit provider’s exposure.
- Agent for lenders in a $150,000,000 borrowing base facility secured by, among other things, sugar and other commodities located in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Peru.
- Lenders in bilateral and syndicated asset based lending facilities to domestic and international oil and gas producers, coffee, grain and sugar producers, agricultural product producers and traders, precious metals traders, steel manufacturers, fisheries and fish processors, construction supply companies, and chemical manufacturers.
- New York
- Member of the Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of NY.
- Member of American Bar Association
Publications and Lectures
- Recent Developments in the MD&A in Preparation of annual disclosure documents, 747 prac.law.inst. 1463 (2005), co-author
- Associate in Business Finance and Restructuring Practice Group and Corporate Group, Hughes Hubbard & Reed (2004-2012)
St. John’s University School of Law, J.D., 2004, cum laude, Notes and Articles Editor, American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review
Yale University, B.A. 1999